|Photos courtesy of Subaru Press|
There's no doubting that the days of the Subaru Impreza WRX STI are numbered (at least in its current form). So, it's just fitting that the folks over at Subaru Tecnica International give it a proper send-off with the S206 (well, at least in Japan). The S206 joins the long list of "S" series STI's.
Among the list of changes for the S206 include new Bilstein shock absorbers, a STI flexible front tower brace and draw stiffer. Likewise, the wheels go an inch higher to 19's (on BBS rims no less) running on Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
Other exterior changes include a new lower front spoiler, front fender outlet grille and trunk spoiler. The grille has also been modified along with the side garnishes.
Inside, a brand new STI steering wheel with silver stitching, special Recaro seats and a numbered plaque complete the package.
Underneath the hood, the S206 also receives an optimized weight balance for the pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft as well as a new ball bearing turbocharger, enhanced ECU tuning and a new sports muffler. Power maxes out at 320 horsepower and 431 Nm of torque.
Along with the S206, the STI division has also made available the NBR Challenge Package which has all sold out. The NBR Challenge Package commemorates Subaru's class win at the 24-Hour Nürburgring Endurance race. The NBR Challenge Package adds a carbon roof and a special dry carbon rear spoiler.
STI to Introduce the SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI "S206"
Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI) is pleased to announce the launch of the SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI “S206”, special performance edition. The model will go on sale today through Subaru dealerships in Japan.
Based on the 4-door SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI, S206 is the newest model in STI’s “S” series. This series dons the crown of STI tuned cars with advanced driving performance and exclusively-made items in both interior and exterior designs. As with former STI models such as S204 and R205, S206 is founded on the IMPREZA WRX STI line.
In addition, “NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE” model will be released to commemorate the class win at the 24 Hours Nürburgring endurance race held in June, with the addition of a carbon roof and original dry carbon rear spoiler.
The exterior design incorporates racing car motifs and has an enhanced sporty feel. S206’s body and engine were tuned to perform as expected of STI’s best model. The body employs exclusive ilstein shock absorbers, STI coil springs, a flexible tower bar (front), and a flexible draw stiffener (front). While improving straight-driving performance, motion is steadied when going into corners so that precise and quick turning is possible. Plus, “Michelin Pilot Super Sport” tires provide refined driving comfort in combination with “BBS” 19-inch aluminum wheels made only for this model.
In the exclusively-made engine, the weight balance between piston, connecting rod, and crankshaft is optimized to enhance the rev feel. Along with a ball bearing turbocharger, ECU (Engine Control Unit) with STI tuning, and a sports muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust - all of which were designed for this model - the engine can deliver 235kW (320PS) in maximum output and 431N.m (44kg.m) in maximum torque. The accelerator response is heightened and low to mid range torque increased, thereby offering better driveability.
On the outside, the lower front spoiler and front fender outlet grille, both designed for this model, and the trunk spoiler are among its distinctive features. The newly-made front grille and side garnishes were also employed for aerodynamics improvement and a high grade appearance.
In the interior are exclusively-made items such as a genuine leather-wrapped steering wheel, “RECARO” racing bucket seats, and seatbelts. Together they create a refined appearance and feel, appropriate for this flagship model.
- STI tuned Bilstein upside down strut and STI coil springs for front suspension
- STI tuned Bilstein damper and STI coil springs for rear suspension
- S206 BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (silver)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35ZR19(93Y) tires
- Brembo 6-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch 2piece type drilled disk rotors for front brake
- Brembo 4-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch drilled disk rotors for rear brake
- STI designed flexible front strut tower brace
- STI designed flexible draw stiffener, front
- STI designed flexible support, rear
- STI designed support, front kit
- STI designed lateral rink with pillow ball bush (front inside, rear inside)
- S206 engine balanced with STI
- STI designed S206 ECU (Engine Control Unit)
- S206 twin scroll ball bearing turbocharger
- STI designed S206 sport muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust
- Large intercooler with S206 logo
- STI designed strengthened silicon intake duct
- STI designed air cleaner element
- S206 multi mode VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)
- S206 RECARO designed front bucket seat
- S206 seat fabric, ALCANTARA® with black punching / red base, leather seat support (dark gray) with silver stitch
- S206 door trim & centered arm rest (black ALCANTARA® with silver stitch)
- S206 dark red colored seat belt
- S206 silver side sill plate with S206 logo (front)
- S206 leather lapped steering wheel with STI logo and silver stitch
- STI designed leather shift knob with STI logo and leather shift boot
- S206 leather side brake boot
- STI designed push engine start switch (red with STI logo)
- S206 serial number plate (console, engine compartment)
- S206 large front under spoiler
- S206 front fender outlet grille
- Aluminum front hood
- STI designed trunk lip spoiler
- S206 badges on front grille and rear gate
- STI designed side garnish with STI logo (black metallic)
-Exclusive for NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE
- Carbon roof
- S206 dry carbon rear spoiler (2 angle adjustable with S206 logo)
- BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J cast aluminum wheels (black)
- S206 Nürburgring Challenge sticker (rear)
- S206 red side sill plate with S206 logo (front)