The Mazda brand, under the management of Berjaya Auto Philippines Inc. (BAP) in its first year of operation, reported a 60% jump in full year 2013 sales compared to 2012. The growth is spread across the product portfolio, with the majority of the growth coming from Mazda2 small car, Mazda3 sub-compact, Mazda6 executive sedan, BT50 pickup and CX-5 compact CUV.
2013 also marked year the Mazda brand introduce its game-changing Skyactiv technology into its second product, the new Mazda6 – with i-ELOOP capacitor-based energy regenerative technology and i-STOP engine idling technology, both of which dramatically improves fuel economy and performance of the Mazda6. In the same year, BAP also extended the successful CX-5 Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV) into 2 variants – the 2.5L CX-5 AWD SPORTS and CX-5 FWD PRO – both with i-Stop technology to further improve on its already best in segment fuel economy.
To enhance the ownership and service experience, Mazda became the first auto brand to offer a comprehensive 3-year free Preventive Maintenance Schedule (PMS), Emergency Roadside Assistance (ERA) and warranty under the YOJIN3 TOTAL CARE program, all at no extra cost to the customers.
“As challenging as our first year of operation has been, it was a year of amazing learning and team building within the company, and with the dealer network. The company started the year with 11 employees, and grew to 37 by the end of the year. The sales growth of 60% is a real testament of the effort and dedication of the BAP team, as well as a reflection of the dealers’ commitment” says Steven Tan, President and CEO of Berjaya Auto Philippines. Tan added, “It’s an incredible experience to start something new, watch people from different backgrounds come together, and create a new culture. The good result encourages us to improve and do better this year, in the service of our customers and dealers.”
The number of full service dealerships grew from 9 dealerships to 14 dealerships in 2013 – they are Mazda Pasig on C-5 Metro Manila, Mazda Tarlac, Mazda Dagupan, Mazda Cavite and Mazda Iloilo. Mazda Davao is expected to open in February this year.
These are some notable mention of events and recognitions for the year.
- BT-50 Pickup won 2013 Truck of the Year by CAGI.
- Mazda booth was judged Best Booth of Manila International Auto Show 2103.
- Mazda6 won Top Gear Philippines’s 2013 Car of the Year.
- Mazda6 won Esquire Philippines’s 2013 Car of the Year.
- Mazda CX-5 AWD Sport won Best Compact SUV at the 2013 C! Magazine Awards.
- Mazda6 won Best Executive Sedan at the 2013 C! Magazine Awards
- Mazda6 won Best Design, Best Safety Feature and Best Value for Money for Midsize Sedan at Auto Focus 2013 Media Choice Awards.
- Sponsorship of Michele Bumgarner in the Mazda Road to Indy race program.