As part of the Department of Energy (DoE)’s drive to expand the Philippine Energy Standards and Labeling Program (PESLP), they partnered up with the country’s leading oil company, Petron, in the first-ever Euro 4 fuel economy run.
With support from the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines (CAMPI) and the Association of Vehicle Importers and Distributors (AVID), 70 vehicles flagged off at the Petron Clark Station in Angeles City as part of this fuel efficiency benchmarking run. Out of the total number of vehicles, 38 ran using Petron XCS Euro 4 while 32 ran Petron Turbo Diesel Euro 4.
The vehicles were then subjected to a 300-kilometer drive on the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEX) and the Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX). The car manufacturers also fielded in their own driver and navigator teams with an independent observer riding along to ensure that guidelines were complied with.
For this run, the following brands participated:
- Asiabrands Motors Corporation (Mahindra)
- Automobile Central Enterprise, Inc. (Volkswagen)
- Bayan Automotive Industries Corporation (BAIC)
- Berjaya Auto Philippines (Mazda)
- British United Automobiles, Inc. (MINI)
- Columbian Autocar Corporation (Kia)
- Eurobrands Distributor, Inc. (Peugeot)
- Ford Group Philippines
- Honda Cars Philippines, Inc.
- Hyundai Asia Resources, Inc.
- Isuzu Philippines Corporation
- Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corporation
- Motor Image Pilipinas, Inc. (Subaru)
- Nissan Philippines, Inc.
- PGA Cars, Inc. (Audi / Porsche)
- Pilipinas Taj Autogroup, Inc. (Tata)
- Suzuki Philippines, Inc.
- The Covenant Car Company, Inc. (Chevrolet)
- Toyota Motor Philippines Corporation
- United Asia Automotive Group, Inc. (Foton)
- Volvo Philippines
As a fuel innovator, Petron has also specially formulated its Euro 4 fuels with advanced additives to deliver TriActiv benefits, namely: (1) better engine protection for longer engine life; (2) better mileage for longer drives; and (3) better power. Petron’s line up of Euro 4 TriActiv fuels are available at all 2,200 Petron service stations nationwide.
The official fuel efficiency ratings will be presented by the DOE to car company executives on June 14 at the Makati Diamond Hotel, at a gala night hosted by Petron Corporation.