Uber, the ride-sharing app, is launching uberPOOL for Manila. It enables people going to the same place at the same time to share the journey and split the cost. It’s all about getting more people into fewer cars. This also means cheaper rides for passengers and less congestion over time.
uberPOOL is more affordable because the cost of the trip is shared. The fare per trip is set at 25 percent less than uberX, which is typically Uber’s cheapest service whether Uber pairs you up with another passenger or not.
It also means less idle time between paying trips for drivers. It means more demand overall because as the cost of a trip falls, more people use the service which means more rides for drivers.
Finally, it is a convenient way for people going in the same direction at the same time to share the journey. This helps cut congestion and pollution.
“uberPOOL makes it easy and affordable for people going in the same direction to share the trip. It’s carpooling at the push of a button. That means cheaper rides for passengers and less congestion on the city’s streets over time. So far in 2016, if Uber riders had driven alone instead of sharing their rides we estimate that over 90 million more miles would have been traveled, that’s the distance from Earth to the Sun, consuming 1.8 millions of gallons of gas and emitting 16,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide,” says Mr. Laurence Cua, Uber Philippines General Manager.
Here is how uberPOOL Works:
- Choose the uberPOOL option in the app. Enter your destination and request a ride.
- You’ll see your driver’s details straight away--name, photo and the details of the car. As with uberX, these drivers have professional driving licenses and have undergone an extensive screening process.
- uberPOOL will then match you with another passenger heading in the same direction: That passenger will either be in the car at the start of your trip, in which case you’ll see their name in advance; or Your driver will pick them up along the way, in which case Uber will notify you via the app.
- Whether you’re first or second into the car, Uber ensures that you’re never taken more than a few minutes out of your way.
- At the end of your trip, you’ll pay just like a normal Uber trip and receive an electronic receipt.