Proof that Japan gets the best stuff when it comes to Subarus, Fuji Heavy Industries just released a new limited edition WRX model called the WRX S4 tS. And aficionados know that ‘tS’ in this case stands for “Tuned by STI”. So what’s new?
Well, using the S207 as inspiration, the gurus at STI have added 10 percent better engine torque under acceleration thanks to a modified air intake and exhaust parts. Power is a stout 300 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 400 Nm of torque from 2,000 to 4,800 rpm for its FA20DIT.
For those who plan to do track days, the WRX S4 tS also has a new oil cooler for the Lineartronic CVT which means it’ll last longer doing hot laps. For handling, it has a DampMatic II front suspension with adjustable damping and front-rear Active Torque Vectoring. Braking has also been enhanced thanks to 4-pot Brembo brakes upfront.
Setting the WRX S4 tS apart are STI-designed BBS 19-inch forged aluminum wheels, cherry red pinstripes on the front grille and front bumper, a larger front underspoiler, and a black roof antenna. Inside, it gets special gauges and STI-spec Recaro front bucket seats.
Like the S207 STI, the WRX S4 tS also comes with a special NBR Challenge Package that gets you a large fixed wing, unique colored wheels, commemorative badging, and more interior goodies.
Here’s a rundown of what’s new:
Suspension / Mechanism
- Exclusive performance muffler with lowered back pressure (featuring STI logo) teamed with exclusive rear exhaust pipe
- STI-designed low-pressure-drop air cleaner element
- CVT oil cooler and strengthened radiator fan
- Exclusive STI-tuned Bilstein front struts (DampMatic® II, inverted-type) and coil springs
- Exclusive STI-tuned Bilstein rear dampers and coil springs
- Exclusive 255/35R19 92Y tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx RT)
- STI-designed Brembo front 17-inch opposed-piston 4-pot ventilated brake calipers (with STI logo)
- STI-designed flexible tower bar, front
- STI-designed flexible draw stiffener, front
- STI-designed pillow ball bush rear suspension link (front and rear lateral links inside)
- STI-designed flexible support subframe, rear
- STI-designed BBS 19-inch x 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (silver)
- Exclusive mesh-type front grille (cherry-red stripe with STI ornament)
- Exclusive large front under-spoiler
- Black roof antenna (shark fin type)
- Black side garnish with STI emblem
- Exclusive rear bumper (cherry-red stripe)
- Exclusive luminescent instruments (with multi-information display and STI logo)
- Exclusive leather-wrapped steering wheel (highly tactile leather, chrome bezel, metallic finisher, silver stitching)
- STI-designed leather-wrapped shift knob (with STI logo)
- STI-designed push-type engine switch (red with STI logo)
- Exclusive STI-spec Recaro front bucket seats (leather [black semi-aniline finish on inside of main and side panels, silver stitching and accents] embossed with STI logo and equipped with seat heating and supplemental restraint system side airbags)
- Rear seats: black leather with silver stitching and accents
- Exclusive instrument panel (red with tS LIMITED EDITION logo)
- Exclusive side sill plates (with STI logo)
- STI-designed BBS 19-inch × 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (black)
- Exclusive dry carbon rear spoiler (with STI logo)
- Exclusive emblem (rear)
- Exclusive Ultrasuede-wrapped steering wheel (with silver center marking)