Owners of the all-new Ford Focus can learn a thing or two about driving skills that can maximize their fuel economy – and they can have a little fun in the process.
EcoMode is a handy software application aimed at helping coach customers in the art of eco-driving – and then rewards those that practice more fuel-efficient driving skills with in-car kudos displayed on the instrument cluster.
“The foot of the driver has one of the biggest impacts on real-world fuel economy of a vehicle and was the starting point for the development of EcoMode,” said Thomas Schick, an engineer with the Ford of Germany Core Vehicle Integration team who helped design the software. “This is a useful tool that creates awareness between personal behaviour and fuel consumption and offers up hints on how to improve. Applying those hints and recommendations is all up to the driver.”
Eco-driving refers to specific on-road behaviours that can improve fuel economy, save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Practices most often preached within the eco-driving world include:
- Using the highest driveable gear
- Smooth accelerations and decelerations
- Maintaining constant speeds and anticipating traffic flow
- Using cruise control on the highway
- Avoiding excessive idling
- Avoiding short trips with a cold engine
- Gear shifting (when applicable): Is the driver using the highest drivable gear appropriate for the road conditions
- Anticipation: Is the driver adjusting vehicle speed and distance to other vehicles without the need for heavy braking or acceleration
- Speed: Is the driver using a cruising speed on open roads that enables high fuel efficiency
Throughout a drive, the scoring system generates hints on how to gain more leaves for each discipline. A driver looking at the advice screen for Anticipation, for example, may see the hint “Smooth driving saves fuel” displayed on the cluster if he or she is accelerating, decelerating or braking unnecessarily. In Gear Shifting, driver advice might include “Early shifting saves fuel”, if the driver is not shifting up as early as possible in conjunction with their acceleration.
“Trying to reach the maximum score while in EcoMode leads to a driving style that is optimized for fuel economy,” said Schick.
And when drivers do their eco-best, Eco Mode rewards them with on-screen kudos that include championship cup icons and playful titles such as Advanced ECO driver or the top prize of ECO champion.
The All-New Focus in the Philippines
The all-new Ford Focus sets a new standard in its segment with its unmatched combination of smart technologies, outstanding fuel economy, expressive design, responsive performance, responsive performance and high levels of craftsmanship and occupant safety.
The all-new Focus is officially on sale in dealerships nationwide at:
- PhP 1,199,000 for the 2.0L Focus Titanium+ Sedan and the 2.0L Focus Sport+ Hatchback;
- PhP 989,000 for the 1.6L Focus Trend Hatchback and Sedan;
- PhP 929,000 for the 1.6L Focus Ambiente Hatchback and Sedan and
- PhP 859,000 for the 1.6L Focus Ambiente Sedan MT.