Whenever car launches happen, some journos are awestruck by the song-and-dance numbers that carmakers come up with; and since some numbers rival Cirque Du Soleil in their elaborateness, I guess that can’t be helped. Of course, for some of us who seek numbers, these presentations come across as being heavy on style, but light on substance.
Thankfully though, some carmakers have opted to cut the fluff and go straight to the numbers; and when we mean numbers, we don’t just mean horsepower and torque. Some will go as far as to show what the present market situation is—a great snapshot of what’s moving and what’s not. Naturally, this also answers why they’re pricing their new market offering as such.
Over the past few months, SsangYong has been doing this at every product launch. After giving the low down on the technical specs, they always show their market positioning vis-à-vis what’s hot in the Philippine car industry. Now that their launch plans for 2019 are complete, it’s worthwhile going back to see how the four segments they’re competing in—sub-compact crossover, compact crossover, mid-sized SUV/pickup-based passenger vehicle, and pick-up truck are doing.
The fastest growing segment in the country is, without a doubt, the pickup truck segment. Selling 56,126 units based on the CAMPI/AVID combined full-year 2018 report, this segment benefited the most from the revised vehicle excise tax. What’s surprising is that a majority of buyers still go for the mid-tier models with the P 1-million to P 1.25-million bracket accounting for 23,850 units or 43 percent of sales. This is followed closely by the P 1.25-million to P 1.5-million range with 19,072 units or 34 percent of sales.
- Below 1-Million: 4,267 units
- P 1-Million to P 1.25-Million: 23,850 units
- P 1.25-Million to P 1.5-Million: 19,072 units
- P 1.5-Million to 1.75-Million: 6,438 units
- P 1.75-Million to P 2-Million: 2,499 units
- Below 1.5-Million: 4,624 units
- P 1.5-Million to P 1.75-Million: 28,197 units
- P 1.75-Million to P 2-Million: 14,360 units
- P 2-Million to P 2.25-Million: 8,938 units
- Above P 2.25-Million: 738 units
- Below P 1-Million: 36 units
- P 1-Million to P 1.3-Million: 75 units
- P 1.3-Million to P 1.6 Million: 936 units
- P 1.6-Million to P 1.9-Million: 2,623 units
- Above P 1.9-Million: 1,030 units
- Below P 1-Million: 1,470 units
- P 1-Million to P 1.1-Million: 1,839 units
- P 1.1-Million to P 1.2-Million: 3,601 units
- P 1.2-Million to P 1.3-Million: 356 units
- Above P 1.3-Million: 851 units