At the Manila International Auto Show (MIAS) last year, Hyundai Asia Resources, Inc. (HARI) showed off 4 product offerings including the second-generation Veloster. Then, HARI brought in a single variant—the Veloster Turbo which is powered by a 204-horsepower 1.6-liter T-GDI engine. Of course, enthusiasts will be enthusiasts and wanted the proverbial forbidden fruit: the Veloster N. Thankfully, HARI is listening and has delivered—the Veloster N is in the Philippines.
The first-ever high-performance Hyundai N in the country, the Veloster N is visually distinguishable from its Veloster Turbo sibling thanks to a unique front fascia and grille with dedicated air ducts for enhanced brake cooling. Towards the back, it also gets a unique rear spoiler and rear bumper with an integrated diffuser.
It’s not just all show and no go, too. In place of “regular” 1.6-liter T-GDI is a 2.0-liter T-GDI engine making 250 horsepower and 353 Nm of torque. Mated to this is a 6-speed short-throw manual with carbon-coated synchro rings and gear material reinforcement. It promises to be aurally better too with Active Sound Design which enhances the intake and exhaust sounds in the cabin (perfect with the freer flowing exhaust).
Hand-in-hand with the beefed-up powertrain, the Veloster N gets handling bits such as an N Power Sense Axle. With its “zero-scrub radius”, it promises more precise steering, quicker responses, and improved corner-exit precision. The Veloster N also has Limited Slip Differential which Hyundai calls N Corner Carving Differential.
Aside from being the ultimate Veloster in performance, it’s also the one ultimate one in terms of features. It’s got a full set of goodies like leather seating, automatic climate control, and even an Infinity speaker system. It’s the complete package, though a part of us wishes for the “ultimate” ultimate Veloster N Performance. Oh well.
Anyway, here comes the (slightly) tricky part. HARI says that you can’t just walk into any dealership and expect the Veloster N to be in stock. Unfortunately, it’s only available on a by-order / indent basis. That could mean up to a 3-month wait to get your Veloster N. What’s the asking price? Oh, it’s P 2,058,000, in case you wanted to know.
2019 Hyundai Veloster N Specifications:
- Engine: 2.0-liter T-GDI (Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection)
- Maximum Power: 250 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 353 Nm @ 1,400 rpm
- Emissions Rating: Euro 5
- Steering: Motor-Driven Power Steering
- Steering Column: Tilt/Telescopic
- Steering Wheel: Leather with Audio, Bluetooth, Cruise Control Buttons
- Suspension: MacPherson Strut (front) / Multi-Link (rear)
- Brakes: Vented Disc (front) / Disc (rear)
- Overall Length x Width x Height (in mm): 4,240 x 1,800 x 1,409
- Wheelbase: 2,650 mm
- Ground Clearance: 151 mm
- Wheels and Tires: 225/40 R 18
- Projector-Type LED with Daytime Running Light
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Leather Seats
- Power Adjust Driver’s Seat
- 60/40 Split-Folding Rear Seat
- Heated/Ventilated Front Seats
- Trip Computer
- Cruise Control
- Automatic Climate Control
- Electro chromatic Rear View Mirror
- 8-inch Audio Display with Infinity Speaker System
- Dual SRS Airbags
- Side Airbags
- Curtain Airbags
- Anti-Lock Braking System
- Smart Key with Push-Button Start/Stop
- Rear Parking Assist System with Camera (Dynamic Guidelines)