Thursday, July 18, 2019

Goodbye Mercedes-Benz X-Class


A more luxurious interior and a three-pointed star for a badge aren’t enough to save what’s basically a tarted up Nissan Navara. A report coming out of Europe says the Mercedes-Benz X-Class is not long in this world.

Automotive News Europe says that the premium pickup truck, aimed at European, Australian, and South American markets is set to be dropped as Mercedes-Benz’s parent company, Daimler seeks to reduce costs. The German automaker has cut its profit forecast for the fourth time in 13 months due to regulatory crackdown on diesel emissions and Takata airbag-related recalls.

The report also says that right off the bat, the X-Class failed to live up to its expectations. Met with a high starting price, it didn’t fair well in a segment that also has the Volkswagen Amarok and Ford Ranger. Additionally, it was hit by several recalls. Mercedes-Benz also canceled plans to built the X-Class at a Renault-Nissan plant in Argentina earlier this year.

Source: Automotive News Europe

No comments:

Post a Comment