Search CarGuide.PH

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Hyundai Acquires Robotics Company Boston Dynamics


Hyundai Motor Group has completed its purchase of robotics company Boston Dynamics. The deal, valued at US$ 1.1 billion will give Hyundai an 80 percent stake in Boston Dynamics, while the remaining 20 percent will be retained by SoftBank Group.

Boston Dynamics is the established leader in developing agile, mobile robots that have been successfully integrated into business operations of many of the world’s leading industrial firms. Advanced robotics offer opportunities for rapid growth with the potential to positively impact society by making work safer and more productive.

By acquiring Boston Dynamics and securing a leading presence in the field of robotics, Hyundai takes another major step toward its strategic transformation into a Smart Mobility Solution Provider. To propel this transformation, the Group has invested substantially in the development of future technologies, including autonomous driving, artificial intelligence (AI), Urban Air Mobility (UAM), smart factories, and robots.

In the field of robotics, Hyundai aims to develop advanced technologies that enhance people's lives and promote safety, thereby realizing the progress for humanity.

The deal is also expected to allow Hyundai and Boston Dynamics to leverage each other’s respective strengths in manufacturing, logistics, construction and automation. Together, they will create a robotics value chain, from robot component manufacturing to smart logistics solutions. Additionally, Hyundai will support Boston Dynamics’ continued expansion of its product line and global sales and service footprint.

Boston Dynamics launched sales of its first commercial robot, Spot in June of 2020 and now has hundreds of robots operating in a variety of industries, including power utilities, construction, manufacturing, oil and gas, and mining. The company also recently unveiled Stretch, its first commercial robot specifically designed for warehouse facilities and distribution centers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comment or share your views. Comments that are derogatory and/or spam will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to moderate and/or remove these comments.