The 2019 Santa Fe is nothing short of a revelation—one that proves that Hyundai has the goods to go up market. You can read our First Impressions, or if you’re interested, you can scroll down and see how it measures up against four of its chief rivals: the Ford Explorer, the Mazda CX-9, and the Kia Sorento. We even threw in a curve ball and included the similarly-priced Subaru Outback.
You can check out the full chart below, but here’s the gist:
- With a 2.2-liter turbo diesel engine, the Santa Fe loses out in the horsepower war. However, its peak torque (on equal footing with the Kia Sorento) puts it ahead of everyone else. It’s also worth noting that it’s got the most forward gears of the entire lot (also on equal footing with the Sorento).
- Hyundai Philippines’s decision to equip the Santa Fe solely with front-wheel drive doesn’t exactly put it at a disadvantage as only the Sorento and the Subaru Outback offer all-wheel drive as standard equipment at this price range.
- Despite its stretched exterior dimensions, the Santa Fe still sits as the shortest and second smallest in this lot. Yet, it’s got one of the roomiest interiors. It’s got the biggest front hip room and rear legroom in this group and can actually stand toe-to-toe against the behemoths such as the Ford Explorer. Unsurprisingly, the Mazda CX-9’s swoopy style means it’s one the crampiest.
- Feature-wise, the Santa Fe is well-loaded. It sits comfortably in the middle in terms of number of creature comfort features. It’s only outgunned in terms of speaker count, but exacts its revenge with its class-exclusive Qi wireless charger.
- In this price range, the Outback is the only one that offers an impressive arrange of safety features. Not only does it offer a full complement of airbags, but with EyeSight, it adds adaptive cruise control and automatic front collision braking. That said, the Santa Fe’s not bad too with its 360-degree camera.
- 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 GLS 2WD – P 2,338,000
- 2018 Ford Explorer 2.3 Limited – P 2,748,000
- 2018 Mazda CX-9 FWD Touring – P 2,350,000
- 2018 Kia Sorento 2.2 EX AWD – P 2,300,000
- 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R-S EyeSight – P 2,408,000