Honda ushers in a new era for its sub-compact car offering with the global unveil of the all-new Jazz at the 46th Tokyo Motor Show 2019. The all-new model eschews Honda’s “grand design” concept for a more human-centric design approach. It goes on sale first in its home market of Japan by February 2020 with the rest of the world to follow.
Without compromising the spacious cabin and excellent usability that has been a hallmark of each successive generation of the Jazz, this 4th-generation all-new Jazz was developed with the intention of becoming the globally-accepted standard for compact cars suited to this new age of motoring.
As a new concept in automobile development, the development team pursued an “emotional value” which cannot be expressed numerically and embodied four dimensions of comfort that enable this vehicle to be better able to support the daily lives of customers. Moreover, the all-new Jazz will come in five different types (at least in Japan) so that customers can select the model that is right for them depending on their lifestyle and life stage.
The hybrid version of the all-new Jazz will be the first Honda compact car equipped with the 2-motor hybrid system Honda developed to realize both excellent environmental performance and a comfortable driving experience at the same time, and will be introduced to the market as a part of Honda’s e:HEV models.
The all-new Jazz features a front pillar with a cross-sectional structure that is different from previous generations of Jazz and yet realizes a structure which enables impact energy to flow to the vehicle body in the event of a collision. While ensuring collision safety performance without compromise, this newly-designed front pillar realizes overwhelmingly wide and superior frontal visibility compared to that of previous Jazz models.
Moreover, the instrument panel features a flat-topped design which emphasizes horizontal and straight lines, and windshield wipers are positioned to be barely visible from inside the cabin, which also enhances a comfortable view while driving.
As for the front seats, the all-new Jazz will be the first Honda model to feature a new-generation body stabilizing seat that Honda developed while envisioning application for its high-class sedan models. The planar support structure of the seat stabilizes the body and makes long driving less tiring and enables the user to enjoy the soft feeling of the seat.
The rear seats of the all-new Jazz continue to feature seat arrangements as versatile as that of the previous generation Jazz and realize seat comfort equivalent to high-class sedan models by adopting a larger and thicker seat pad which offers stress-free seating even for adult passengers.
Equipped with Honda’s new, more compact 2-motor hybrid system, the all-new Jazz will drive smoothly by an electric motor for virtually all situations of everyday driving and realize outstanding environmental performance as well as excellent ride comfort with powerful acceleration and comfortable driving.
While maintaining the spacious cabin from previous generations of Jazz, the all-new Jazz features enhanced usability which supports people’s mobility, including a stress-free layout of storage areas that ensure comfort for all occupants during everyday driving as well as over long-distances.
Five types of the all-new Jazz providing unique individual characteristics:
- BASIC - The basic type of the all-new Jazz offers both high-quality design and occupant comfort. This type will feature a simple and endearing design including a front face design with a gentle look and seamless and flowing exterior form.
- HOME - This type strives to realize a relaxing and carefully-designed space with high visual and tactile quality by coordinating colors and materials, including natural-looking fabric seats made with high-quality materials, a genuine leather-wrapped steering wheel and Prime Smooth soft padding.
- NESS - This type features exciting color coordination and adopts water-repellent materials for the seat surfaces and soft padding on the instrument panel. It is a sporty and fashionable type which will enable customers to enjoy driving just like they enjoy fitness and sports.
- CROSSTAR - This type features an exterior design developed exclusively for the CROSSTAR as well as 16-inch aluminum wheels, which look good both in city and outdoor environment. As for the interior, water-repellent materials are used for seat surfaces and soft padding on the instrument panel. This type projects an enhanced image of compact and yet tough vehicle.
- LUXE - Striving to create a space where people can spend elegant and comfortable time, standard genuine leather seats were designed as an exclusive feature for this type while pursuing excellence in visual and tactile quality. For the exterior, platinum-style chrome plating and 16-inch aluminum wheels were adopted to increase the high-quality feel.