The Japanese press has spoken and they have chosen the 2019 Toyota RAV4 as the Japan Car of the Year (JCOTY) 2019-2020.
The committee chose the RAV4 because they deemed it to be an “SUV of the new era.” They praised Toyota’s compact SUV for meeting all customer needs at a high level. The RAV4 received merit for its easy-to-use all-wheel drive system, a platform which is “both comfortable and enjoyable,” and having a luggage space that’s wide and user-friendly.
The 2019 RAV4 scored 436 points to beat out an impressive list of candidates including the Mazda3, BMW 3 Series, and even the Toyota Corolla.
2019-2020 Japan Car of the Year Results:
- Car of the Year: Toyota RAV4 (436 points)
- 2nd Place: Mazda3 (328 points)
- 3rd Place: BMW 3 Series Sedan (290 points)
- 4th Place: Toyota Corolla (118 points)
- 5th Place: Jaguar I-PACE (109 points)
- 6th Place: Jeep Wrangler (56 points)
- 7th Place: Honda N-WGN (54 points)
- 8th Place: Mercedes-Benz A-Class (53 points)
- 9th Place: Nissan Days / Mitsubishi eK Cross (35 points)
- 10th Place: Daihatsu Tanto (21 points)